Scripture: 1 John 2:3-5 Instructions to love one another
Though we won’t often admit it, we all like to know our boundaries. What is the minimal effort required, what is the most that is acceptable. We might not always color inside the lines, but we like knowing where the lines are. So perhaps we find ourselves asking questions like: What is the least you can believe and still be Christian? or What must I do to be saved? The questions are eternal, and so is the answer. As Jesus said, love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself.
- Does everyone need salvation? Yes
- Does Christ offer salvation to everyone? Yes
- Do I have to go to church to be saved? God does the work of salvation, church helps us grow in our love for God and neighbor.
Full Sermon: What is Necessary for Salvation? Oct 20, 2019
Reflect: What actions this week displayed your love for God and neighbor?
- Do one random act of kindness for someone every day for a week and journal a prayer about it each night.
- Write to your Senator or Congressional Representative on be half of a neighbor in need.
- Write thinking of you cards and send to three people who might need encouragement.
- Read When Helping Hurts and reflect on how it calls us to love our neighbors.
- Find a holiday season volunteer opportunity and commit part of your November/December to serving others.
- Connect with an organization like CASA* and be trained to advocate for neighbors.
*Court Appointed Special Advocates for children. Learn more here